Monday, January 26, 2015

Extending Mercy

Mercy Nights ..

I'll admit it, I got sidetracked. I'm back for now. It's not that I haven't been reading and studying God's Word in the interim. I've just gotten distracted by things that got in the way of blogging - things that got in the way of responding with my heart to what God was saying to me.

Today, I was reading in Matthew as I am working my way through reading the Bible through in a year. I was struck by the parable of the unforgiving slave. He owed his master a great debt and pleaded for mercy. His master forgave him the great debt and he was grateful, but then refused to forgive those who owed him a debt. Should you not have shown mercy to your fellow slave, just as I showed it to you?’ (‭Matthew‬ ‭18‬:‭33‬ NET)

I am surely one who keeps accounts. I am not quick to let go when someone has offended me. And yet, I, like the slave in this passage, know that I have been forgiven much. How often have I prayed the Lord's Prayer and not forgiven those who have sinned against me? Far too often. I stand convicted!

Lord, Your mercy should overwhelm me, but I have become numb to it. Help me to realize the depths of Your mercy towards me. Break my heart for sin that I have committed and give me tears because of Your forgiveness. Show me those that I need to forgive and extend mercy towards and grant me Your mercy. Bring healing and restoration for Your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment