Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Compassion

a VaLenTineS rOse for YOU

While reading Exodus 2 this morning - the story of Moses being pulled out of the water and adopted by Pharaoh's daughter - I was struck by the compassion Pharaoh's daughter had. She must have been well aware of her father's hatred of the Hebrews and his attempts to kill the Hebrew baby boys and yet when the basket was pulled out of the water, she had compassion for the baby. The Hebrew word used here chamal means to spare, to pity, to have compassion on. It's a verb - not an adjective. She didn't just feel compassionate, she acted! This baby was supposed to die, but she spared him. Not only did she spare him, but she adopted him into her family and raised him as her own. Isn't that what God has done for us? Our sins bring us the penalty of death. But God, in His mercy and compassion, spares us. Not only does He spare us, but He also has adopted us into His family!

Do I have that kind of compassion? Honestly, I think I come up way short in regards to compassion. My prayer today is that God would grow that compassion in my heart. I pray that it would not just be something I feel, but something I do!

I'm reading Exodus as part of the Good Morning Girls reading through Exodus. Join in if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment